Sunday, July 10, 2005
Batting Practice, 7/10
Back from NYC, if you're going to live in a city, that's the one. Nevertheless, I couldn't be happier to be back; it seems whenever I go out of town it's incredibly difficult to follow baseball, particularly the minutia of stats et al. Anywho... lots of crazy, random thoughts going through my head today. Some batting practice for blogging. Batting Practice
- The MLB Futures game is today, featuring one Daric Barton. Barton is headlining the MLB.com blurb about the game too. Check it out. I don't know. I still hold out hope that the Mulder thing will work out okay, we needed a lefty starter, but this... After all isn't baseball about hope and second chances and all the other silly cliches that go along with it? Even in a certified cynic like myself, the game can bring that out.
- George Brett is coaching the US team. Good old George Brett was always a favorite player of mine, and not just for the elite hitting, the Preparation Hpine tar bat won him a place in my heart. Billy Martin was always damn entertaining too. stuff and the
- As for the trade rumors, I just don't know. Speculating is almost as maddening as anything. I'm still for an outifelder, of Mench quality, but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with a lefty ace for the pen. Except, apologies to the Wagner fans among my peers, the media would make an obnoxious Izzy versus Wagner thing out of it. Would it upset a good clubhouse chemistry? I don't know. Cardnilly seems has Wagner's talking points written already.
- Derrek Lee was back for the Cubs, hitting a home run yesterday. There's no way he'll lead the league in RBI this year, not with the Cubs line up.
- Anyone notice the standing of late? Now it's Houston that's second fiddle in the Central. Remember what Houston did last year. There just not as convincing this year though, no matter who they grab (if) at the deadline.
- My half way point predictions for the playoffs:
- Nationals (wild card)
- White Sox (wow, that'd be great to see them instead of the Cubs).
- Rangers (wild card, with the help of Jason Marquis?)